Subject: Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:09:07 -0500

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 06:01:14AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>On 08-Mar-1999, Chris Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> >The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.  
>> >I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???
>> 
>> If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
>> *must* be GPLed.
>
>I don't think that is correct.  I believe the "commercial compiler"
>that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
>"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-) 
>
>If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license for
>Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
>Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount of
>cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.

That's right.  As the license holder for cygwin we reserve the right to
distribute the code under a different licensing agreement.

We do allow our customers to distribute code linked with the DLL under
other terms than the GPL -- for a fee.

I don't believe that Suhaib is referring to our own products however, and
I don't believe that he is referring to a commercial customer of Cygnus.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]