Subject: Re: B20: Bug? backslashes and stars within args of ls
From: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Waldor Michael K3/EMW4\"" <[email-masked]>, cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:08:45 -0500

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 07:51:26AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>---"Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>8<
>> not ok: ls c:\\temp\\f*
>> //i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:\temp\f*: No such file or directory
>8<
>
>Yep.  This is a bug.

Well, that's debatable.  cygwin is supposed to be emulating a UNIX
environment.  '\' is not a directory specifier in UNIX.  The glob code
in cygwin does not recognize it as such so it will not expand wildcards
correctly.

If we make '\' a directory specifier then we break the 'quoting' capabilities
of that character.  So, it's not a change that will be made lightly.

cgf

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]