Subject: Re: [HELP] stat(), file permission, r/w access : i'm LOST :(
From: Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastien Barre <[email-masked]>, Cygwin-32 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:28:39 +0100

Sebastien Barre schrieb:
> 
> At 17:43 01/03/99 -0500, you wrote:
> 
>
> That sounds interesting, could you please be more specific, I'm not exactly
> a umask guru, and I have no man page. Thanks a lot for any help.
> 

       umask [-S] [mask]
              Display  or  set the file permission creation mask,
              or umask (see umask(2)).  If the -S option is used,
              the mask displayed or set is symbolic, otherwise it
              is an octal number.

              Symbolic masks are like those used by chmod(1):
                     [ugoa]{{=+-}{rwx}*}+[,...]
              in which the first group of characters is  the  who
              part, the second group is the op part, and the last
              group is the perm part.   The  who  part  specifies
              which  part  of  the  umask is to be modified.  The
              letters mean:
                      u      the user permissions

                      g      the group permissions

                      o      the  other  permissions   (non-user,
                             non-group)

                      a      all  permissions  (user,  group  and
                             other)

              The op part indicates how the who  permissions  are
              to be modified:

                      =      set

                      +      added to

                      -      removed from
              The perm part specifies which permissions are to be
              set, added or removed:

                      r      read permission

                      w      write permission

                      x      execute permission

              When symbolic masks are used,  they  describe  what
              permissions  may  be  made available (as opposed to
              octal masks in which a set  bit  means  the  corre
              sponding   bit   is   to   be  cleared).   Example:
              `ug=rwx,o=' sets the mask  so  files  will  not  be
              readable,  writable  or executable by `others', and
              is equivalent (on most systems) to the  octal  mask
              `07'.

-- 
with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

  Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

==========================================
Heinz-Juergen Oertel
port GmbH            phone +49 3493 743-10
Antonienstr. 3       fax   +49 3493 743-15
D-06749 Bitterfeld   mailto:[email-masked]
Germany              http://www.port.de
==========================================

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]