Subject: Re: mySQL, mSQL, PostgreSQL with cygwin ?
From: Sebastien Barre <[email-masked]>
To: Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:08:42 +0100

At 07:59 01/03/99 +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:

>A contributed PostgreSQL 6.4 port in binary form is also available at this
>location, but it's only supposed to run on NT

Very good. I also downloaded the 6.4.2 source and will try to compile it.
Too bad there isn't a diff file at your location, but if I fail, I will
install the binary, for sure.

>MySQL is _not_ ported to Cygwin due to the lack of the pthreads functions used
>in the multi-user multi-threaded MySQL database engine. Currently Cygwin is
>getting at least experimental support for pthreads functions, but I suppose it
>will take some time to get a stable port of MySQL done to Cygwin.

Thanks for the information, but there is something very obscure to me, they
ARE binaries for cygwin32 :
http://www.tcx.se/download.html

"MySQL 3.22.10 clients compiled with the cygwin32 kit. This includes
'mysql' with readline editing capabilities. " and a link to
http://www.tcx.se/Downloads/Win32/mysqlclient-3.22.10b-cygwin-b20.tar.gz

I downloaded it, here is the content :

-rw-r--r-- tolj/None    723652 1998-11-08 17:59 cygwin1.dll
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None     41472 1998-11-17 19:40 insert_test.exe
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None    192512 1998-11-17 19:40 mysql.exe
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None     55296 1998-11-17 19:40 mysqladmin.exe
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None     62464 1998-11-17 19:40 mysqldump.exe
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None     53760 1998-11-17 19:40 mysqlimport.exe
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None     53760 1998-11-17 19:40 mysqlshow.exe
-rwxr-xr-x tolj/None     41472 1998-11-17 19:40 select_test.exe

Which seems to mean that the mySQL DLL was succesfully built (how ??), and
linked or added to the original cygwin1.dll ? If it's true, it may remove
my coolview support, am I wrong ? 

Furthermore, you have to get a license to use it officialy.

>There is a native Win32 shareware version of MySQL 3.21.29a which works
>perfectly with our Apache 1.3.4 and integrated PHP 3.0.6, check out MySQL's
>official web site.

I do not know if I'll be able to use it with Perl built for cygwin ? If I
compile a DBI module for MySQL within my cygwin perl context, the DLL
formats won't match I guess.

Regards

______________________________________________________________
Sebastien Barre                  http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]