Subject: Re: ls and long file names
From: "Jose I. Cabrera" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "cygwin users" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:45:41 -0500

All,

I agree that this is ls the intended behavior, but I thought that
 there was a switch that would change this behavior and place
 them according to file name sizes.  Here is an example of VMS:

$ dir

Directory USER15:[JCABRERA]

FILES_20200758.COM;1                    FILES_20200758.OUT;1
FTPD.LOG;16         GAZ_OUT.TXT;1       JICMAN.DIR;1        JIC_SUBJ.COM;14
JIC_SUBJ.COM;13     JIC_SUBJ.COM;12     K.MAI;1             LO.JOU;1
LOGIN.COM;11        LOGIN.COM;10        LOGIN.COM;9         LOGINCOM.SAV;1
MAIL$1FEC834100050098.MAI;1             MAIL$20C80C5A00050098.MAI;1
MAIL$5F92D82100050099.MAI;1             MAIL$84EC0F7100050099.MAI;1
MAIL$9058647A0005009B.MAI;1             MAIL$D99B0E9700050099.MAI;1
MAIL$D9D2796100050099.MAI;1             MAIL$DA04301A00050099.MAI;1
MAIL$DA3A1E5600050099.MAI;1             MAIL$DCC4A43B00050099.MAI;1
MAIL$DCC94E7A00050099.MAI;1             MAIL$F5B2F5170005009B.MAI;1
MAIL.MAI;1          MAIL_20203993_SEND.TMP;1
MAIL_206005A6_SEND.TMP;1                MAIN.TPU$JOURNAL;8  MAIN.TPU$JOURNAL;7
MAIN.TPU$JOURNAL;6  NEW_TXT.TPU$JOURNAL;2
NEW_TXT.TPU$JOURNAL;1                   P1.;1               RJEOUT1.TMP;1
RJETMP.TMP;1        SDF.MAI;1           SDFSDF.MAI;1        SENDIT.COM;5
SENDIT.COM;4        SENDIT.COM;3        SIG.SIG;2           SIG.SIG;1
SNATPRINT.LIS;3     SNATPRINT.LIS;2     SNATPRINT.LIS;1     WASTEBASKET.MAI;1
X.X;1               _ALIASES.TPU$JOURNAL;1

Total of 50 files.
$

as you can see, there are different file name sizes and yet, VMS places
 them in columns, even though there are short names and long names.
I know what you are going to say, "Jose, move to MVS," but, could not
we have a switch that would make it this way?  It does not have to be
the default, just a switch.

Thanks.  BTW, I love bash.  If I didn't, I would not have written at all.

jose

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
To: Jose I. Cabrera <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 1999 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: ls and long file names

>---"Jose I. Cabrera" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>8<
>> Does anyone have any kind of idea on how to fix this?  I tried all
>kinds of switches and got no different result.
>8<
>
>This is the intended behavior.  What is it you want fixed?  The only
>solution I can see is for you to always display one file per line.  To
>do this you would do `ls -1'.  This is a -one not a lower case el.
>==
>-                        \\||//
>-------------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o-------------------
>--                [email-masked]               --
>-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html --
>----------------------ooo0O--O0ooo----------------------
>
>PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
>_________________________________________________________
>DO YOU YAHOO!?
>Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]