Subject: Re: Cygwin participation threshold
From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bernard Dautrevaux" <[email-masked]>, "'DJ Delorie'" <[email-masked]>, "Christopher G. Faylor" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:38:28 -0500

>I wonder if that was not precisely the reason of the lack of
>contributors to cygwin. Let make a supposition: suppose Linus had put
on
>the Linux kernel (the equivalent to cygwin.dll) a copyright saying that
>*any* program run under Linux *must* be distributed in source form
under
>the GPL...

Does the GPL applies to GNUPro, which is distributed for commercial
use?

>I'm quite sure Linux would *not* have been as successful as
>it is, would had *a lot* less contributors, and would certainly *not*
be
>promoted now by little guys like Compaq and HP...
>
>I would like to use cygwin, and I would certainly contribute to cygwin
>(helping to solve the problems that bother me in it), but I'm not
*able*
>to use it (I *have* to restrain to mingw32) because I have to live from
>my work and thus I have to sell my software.

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]