Subject: Re: "Accented" characters
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:14:48 +0100

Hi Henrik,

Henrik Johansson wrote:
> There is a couple of problems, however.  When I write (in bash)
>         ls //c/tmp/l*.txt
> the response is
>         //c/tmp/l?smig.txt
> even though the real filename is "läsmig.txt" (the second character in
> the filename has the code 228, or 0xE4...it is an 'a' with two dots).

Try the command

	chcp 1252

Background: Consoles in Win/32 still use the so-called "OEM" character
set encoding for display instead of the so-called "ANSI" encoding used
in GUI apps and for the file system. The CHCP command (CHange CodePage)
switches between the various installed codepages for consoles. 1252 is
the codepage usually used by GUI apps in western versions of Windows, so
doing "CHCP 1252" makes the standard GUI codepage and the codepage of
the console the same. This eliminates conversion errors which are most
probably the root of your problem.

so long, benny
======================================
Benjamin Riefenstahl ([email-masked])
Crocodial Communications EntwicklungsGmbH
Ruhrstr. 61, D-22761 Hamburg, Germany

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]