Subject: [PB] "no acceptable ld" : cywin32 pb, way to handle win path ?
From: Sebastien Barre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:41:04 +0100

Here are some excerpts of a problem discussed in the cywin32 mailing list.
I thought it might be interesting for the automake people too (this message
is also crossposted CC: to the cywin32 list for information).

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/1999-02/msg00702.html

It seems related to the way configure script handles path (many of use
encoutered the pb with different configure scripts) :

 Alex <[email-masked]> :

>i tried to compile CILK ( http://supertech.lcs.mit.edu/cilk/ )
>and i got this error message:
>
>checking for ld used by GCC... no
>configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH
>
>though ld.exe is in the bin directory, what can i do to solve this
>problem ?

Tolj <[email-masked]> :

>check out the configure script itself where the test is performed, i.e.
>search for "checking for ld used by" and you may see that you'll need to
>add Win32 path style to match certain conditions within the configure
>script so ld is recognized.
>
>At least for some configure scripts this has been the problem for not
>recognizing ld in my experience.

Julian Kinraid <[email-masked]>

>I had the same problem, but if you just set the LD enviroment variable,
>you mightn't need to change the configure script -
>
>export LD=/cygwin/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe
>
>Just make sure the path is correct.

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]> :

>>export LD=/cygwin/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe
>>
>>Just make sure the path is correct.
>>
>
>Theoretically it supposed to work.  But; it does not awlays by doing
>export... before using configure script.  Many Configure scripts apprantly
>ignore it and seach for LD="$..." whatever.  Hardcoding the ld.exe path in
>configure works at least always in my hands.

"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]> :

>This problem also occurs with LessTif and many other codes.  It is because
>Cygwin has a different style.
>
>I usually search the configure script for something like "LD="$...." and
>replace all those occurances with
>LD="/usr/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cywgin32/bin/ld.exe"  This hard codes the ld.exe
>path and also include at your ./configure --with-gnu-ld if this option is
>available (check with ./configure --help).  Hard coding ld.exe path in
>configure script always has worked at least in my hands.

Any help frop the automake people would be really appreciated, sorry if it
has been discussed before...

Thanks a lot

______________________________________________________________
Sebastien Barre                  http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]