Subject: Re: Cygwin participation threshold
From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
To: "DJ Delorie" <[email-masked]>, "Paul Sokolovsky" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:22:34 -0500

>
>> Hopefully, that's what you wanted - to give people a nice tool,
>
>I think it would be more accurate to replace "give" with "share with".
>
>As a bit of history, Cygnus had a purely business reason to create
>cygwin.  Doing so let us host our tools on 95/NT platforms, which
>meant more customers (i.e. more money).  AFAIK, releasing cygwin to
>the net had two reasons: the first philosophical, in that we like to
>share; and the second practical, in that the more people using cygwin
>the more paid support contracts we'll get.

What about third party products. For example PGI Workstation comes
bundle with
Cygwin. It uses better commercial compilers and one has a choice to use
GCC/G77
or PGCC/PG77/PGF90 etc.  Who gets the *paid support* in that case?
I am just a bit curious!

Regards
Suhaib

--
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to [email-masked]