Subject: Re: Cygwin B20 - fseek under gcc fails to reposition on text files
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Peter Kabal <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:52:43 -0500

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 07:41:34AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>Ok I appoligize.
>
>Here is the "Microsoft VC++ Run-Time Library Reference" quote:
>
>For streams opened in text mode, fseek has limited use, because
>carriage return-linefeed translations can cause fseek to produce
>unexpected results.  The only fseek operations guaranteed to work on
>streams opened in text mode are:
>
>* Seeking with an offset of 0 relative to any of the origin values.
>
>* Seeking from the beginning of the file with an offset value returned
>from a call to ftell.
>
>Also in text mode, CTRL+Z is interpreted as an end-of-file character
>on input.  In files opened for reading/writing, fopen and all related
>routines check for a CTRL+Z at the end of the file and remove it if
>possible.  This is done because using fseek and ftell to move within
>an file that ends in CTRL+Z may cause fseek to behave improperly near
>the end of the file.
>
>---
>
>Based on the documentation then I'll have to agree that your programs
>isn't behaving as the documentation states that it should.  But, which
>is wrong, fseek or ftell?
>
>Sorry for speaking out of line,

This does sound like a bug.  We'll try to look into this, time permitting.

If anyone else wants to take a stab at this (Corinna?) I'd be very grateful.

-chris