Subject: Re: some spam in the mailing list.... Hope is in sight...
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Dave Gabol <[email-masked]>, "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Chris <[email-masked]>, cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:30:21 -0500

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 01:02:11PM +0000, Dave Gabol wrote:
>I did a search for "search engine success group" on yahoo and found that
>these guys have been spamming newsgroups all over the place from
>different addresses. 
>
>I haven't got a clue what the 888 phone number is, probably an American
>number. I also found another number (410-783-8269) in some spam sent to
>another mailing list. If anybody in the US can find out who these people
>are I'd be interested to know. I'd like to tell them what I think of
>them.

The new mailing list software has some filters which should help stop this
kind of spam.  Unfortunately, they're not turned on now because to do so
would mean that mail sent to [email-masked] would be bounced.

In a few weeks, we'll terminate the forwarding from [email-masked].
At that time we'll also turn on spam filtering.

I'd appreciate everyone's patience until then.

FYI, I doubt that anyone hates spam more than I do.  It galls me to see
this crap in our mailing list.  I appreciate the individual steps that
people have taken to track this down to the source and terminate the
twits who are sending this crap out.

-chris