Subject: Re: Cygnus
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], cygwin users <[email-masked]>, Jason Molenda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:19:25 -0500

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 01:13:21PM -0500, Steve Morris wrote:
>
>Christopher Faylor writes:
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 09:10:38AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > >---Steve Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >> I also find the archive search engine unreliable. Maybe I am unlucky
> > >> but of the last three times I tried to do a search the search engine
> > >> was down for two of them, and for days. It was down this weekend.
> > >
> > >I've not searched anything recently so I can't speak to this. 
> > >Christopher?  Geoff?
> > 
> > Searching the archives works fine for me.
>
>What I thought was not working was slower than expected performance,
>sometimes so slow that the browser times out waiting. If I am patient
>and try enough times I eventually get results. As an example I
>searched for CVS. I got the first of ten pages of results and then
>pressed the icon for the second page. I got a response after 45
>seconds. Some other pages responded in less than 10 seconds. When I
>started searching on Saturday I was unlucky and got the browser
>timeout the first time. After that I assumed that a long delay ment
>that it was going to fail again and impatiently terminated the search
>before getting a result.

Ah...  Details.

Well, actual details beyond "it isn't working" are something I can send
to the maintainer of the archives.  I've done that.

cgf