Subject: Re: Cygnus
From: Steve Morris <[email-masked]>
To: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:13:21 -0500 (EST)

Christopher Faylor writes:
 > On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 09:10:38AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
 > >---Steve Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
 > >> I also find the archive search engine unreliable. Maybe I am unlucky
 > >> but of the last three times I tried to do a search the search engine
 > >> was down for two of them, and for days. It was down this weekend.
 > >
 > >I've not searched anything recently so I can't speak to this. 
 > >Christopher?  Geoff?
 > 
 > Searching the archives works fine for me.

What I thought was not working was slower than expected performance,
sometimes so slow that the browser times out waiting. If I am patient
and try enough times I eventually get results. As an example I
searched for CVS. I got the first of ten pages of results and then
pressed the icon for the second page. I got a response after 45
seconds. Some other pages responded in less than 10 seconds. When I
started searching on Saturday I was unlucky and got the browser
timeout the first time. After that I assumed that a long delay ment
that it was going to fail again and impatiently terminated the search
before getting a result.