Subject: Re: B20: make confused with //a style drive specifiers
From: Malcolm Purvis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:32:58 +1100 (EST)

>>>>> "Graham" == Graham Dumpleton <[email-masked]> writes:

Graham> Came across the following problem in B20 which I believe should
Graham> work. [...]

Graham> need2 := //g/a //g/b //g/c //g/d //g/e //g/f
Graham> all2 : $(need2)
Graham> $(need2) : % :
Graham>		@echo $@

Graham> make: *** No rule to make target `//g/a', needed by `all2'.  Stop.

I reported this bug back in November (see in the archives at
<http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Nov/0419.html> for my report) and it
has nothing to do with the //a style drive letters.  The problem is that make
cannot cope with the second or later path in a static rule being an absolute
path name.  Hugh Winkler ([email-masked]) identified the problem and
produced a version of make that works (see
<http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Nov/0586.html>).  This message also
contains the URL of the fixed binary.

For whatever reason this fix never made it into B20.1, but I presume it will
appear when make 3.77 is incorporated into the next release.

BTW Graham, if you found this bug by using makeit under cygwin, let me know
because we've been using that combination here for the last few months.

-- 
Malcolm Purvis ([email-masked]) - ABC Technology Research and Development

"I don't want it to be practical, I want it to be *expensive*."
	-- my wife.