Subject: [Quest] Proxy / Modem sharing
From: Alain CULOS <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 09:53:44 +0000

Hi All,

This maybe a bit off-topic, but here goes :

I have browsed and browsed again in quest for a proxy server for Win32
(actually Win95) so that I can share my Modem between two PCs.
I came up with loads of shareware as well as 5 programs available free
of charge, but no source code.

Is there anyone out there with such a thing as a proxy (preferrably
simple) with source code and GPL or some such ?

The proxy should be good enough to allow the PC that does not have a
modem to access to HTTP, NNTP, POP3, SMTP with no restriction other
than the 'normal' win32 restrictions as per a modem connection. It'd
be nice if that PC could have the other PC dial / hang up on demand
(manual activation only, no automatic activation based on TCP/IP
requests).
Alternativelly can anyone enlighten me with the remote process
capabilities of Windows95 - i.e. is it possible to use the dial up
networking shortcut on PC [a] (the one that has the modem) remotely
from PC [b] (the one that tries to get the connection right now) ? -
thus activating the connection and connecting, through the proxy
mentionned above, into the ISP.

Hoping this sort of thing exists out there, maybe it is not done
because it's so simple no one bothers, but hey, I'm not into that type
of programming hence the lay man questions.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :
Pour me répondre, veuillez enlever le Z de mon adresse.
To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.