Subject: Re: Here documents in ash shell scripts mess up stdin on 9x
From: [email-masked] (Mikey)
To: Anil K Ruia <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 01:19:17 GMT

Yes, ash on 9x is much more stable (and faster :) running configure than bash.
On 95a linking /bin/sh -> bash.exe will cause lockups, even with CYGWIN=  tty
or at least it did for me with b19, your mileage may vary.

Do not use the b20 ash, recompile the one from b19, the b20 ash
has several serious bugs, and someone is trying to add features,
that are not needed, for a non-login shell.

The main problem is that once ash exits after running configure if you continue to
use that login shell and a non cygwin app segfaults in it, you can have
hard lockups. 

Can you say reset-button? I knew you could ;^)

Once configure exits I always exit that console and start a new one.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:55:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanx Mike for diagnosing the cause of the problem.  I had been having
>this problem on Win98 with B20.1 also and hadn't been able to find a
>solution.  I just made /bin/sh a link to bash.exe as opposed to sh.exe
>before.  But I remember someone saying something about ash being more
>stable for configures than bash.  Could I run into problems because of
>that?
>
>- Anil
>
>Mikey wrote:
>> 
>> I always wondered why configure screwed up bash
>> on win95, and I finally figured it out.
>> 
>> Here documents in ash shell scripts
>> 
>> This bug doesn't appear under NT4 SP3.
>[stuff deleted]