Subject: New "feature" introduced with winsup automount?
From: Steve Coleman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:07:27 -0500

Hi,

I finally completed a build of the latest winsup snapshot in order to
enable the cygwin1.dll pthread support. After installing the new
cygwin1.dll and the latest pthread.dll I have noticed a few changes in
the way cygwin handles path names.

Feature #1:

Now I find that my current directory environment (i.e. $PWD,pwd.exe) has
some additional stuff in it when I first logon. I have "C:\Gnu" mounted
as "/" but my home directory which should be displayed as
"/home/coleman" appeared as "/cygdrive/c/gnu/home/coleman". I located a
registry entry that  caused the string "/cygdrive" and after deleting
the key I got down to just "/c/Gnu/home/coleman". It appears that the
output of pwd.exe and $PWD do not always match. The $PWD seems to be
correct as long as I am not in my own home directory but pwd.exe is
always wrong. After building the distribution I could not find a new
pwd.exe so I am continuing to use the old binary.

a2dslc:/% pwd
/c/Gnu
a2dslc:/% echo $PWD
/                    
a2dslc:/% cd $HOME
a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman% pwd
/c/Gnu/home/coleman
a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman% echo $PWD
/c/Gnu/home/coleman         
a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman% cd /home
a2dslc:/home% echo $PWD
/home
a2dslc:/home% pwd
/c/Gnu/home  

Is there anything I can do to my registry or environment to get these to
act as they used to short of deactivating the automount? 

Feature #2:

I used to be able to do "ls //D/" to get a listing of my D: drive but
this no longer works. Is there a new "unix like" syntax to do this now,
or is there a way to get it to automount as /d/ ?

a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman:% ls -al //D/
ls: //D/: No such file or directory   

Thanks!

P.S. - I'm really getting psyched to try out cygwin pthreads.

:-)

-- 
Steve Coleman     <[email-masked]>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
<<--------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<---------->>
Balt:443-778-6330 Fax:443-778-5597 Wash:240-228-6330 Fax:240-228-5597