Subject: Re: cygwin for Alpha NT / shared libs like Interix
From: Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
To: Martin Heller <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:35:52 -0800

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999, Martin Heller wrote:
>
> Has anybody taken a look at Interix/OpenNT recently ? They've got
> shared-lib support a la unix nowadays - but still BETA - with their
> adaption of GNU binutils + gcc for Intel/Alpha NT.(If I understand
> their web pages correctly)  They are using ELF for this and the
> adapted sources should be on their ftp. But I don't know how they'e
> implemented the ld.so ...
> Anyone working on something similiar ??

Not that I know of.

> Is anyone working on porting the cygwin-20.1 to Alpha/NT ?
> cygwin-b19 has been ported by someone to Alpha/NT and is
> available from ftp://ftp.guiduck.com as a zip-file.
> If yes, I'd like to help ; if not, I'm starting today .

My understanding is that what is there should be very close to where
we need to be to add Alpha/NT support.  What we need is a volunteer
to take their stuff and run with it.  The Alpha-specific changes need
to be integrated into the latest development sources and submitted to
the cygwin-developers list for inclusion in Cygwin.  Changes to other
tools need to be sent to the appropriate maintainers for those tools.
(Of course, we would need to get copyright assignments from the
authors of the Cygwin changes before committing any changes to the
development sources).

Please let us know if you would like to volunteer to do this and we
can go from there...

-- 
Geoffrey Noer		Email: [email-masked]
Cygnus Solutions