Subject: Re: make and .exe targets
From: "J. J. Farrell" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Suhaib M. Siddiqi)
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:24:59 -0800 (PST)

This is getting increasingly silly!

> From: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
> 
> You have a problem with your environment.  Therefore make is unable to
> ld.exe.
> Read my previous message on how to define $PATH.

I don't see how $PATH could be involved. ld is executing correctly, but
it's reporting a problem with the output file.

> Cygwin is a UNIX like environment.  Therefore, to use it effectively you
> should have some
> knowledge of UNIX.

John said that he has developed on AIX.

> When I use your posted Makefile, I get "missing separator" error.  I do
> not get ld.exe not found error.
> Missing separator error means there is a problem with your Makefile.

I can't see anything wrong with the makefile. Your "missing separator"
error is likely to be because you used spaces where a tab is needed
when you copied John's makefile.

> Cygwin follows UNIX rules
> not AIX.  You can download a source code for SUN, SGI or LINUX, look
> carefully on the Makefile and you
> will know how to write a Makefile for a UNIX system.  That makefile will
> work under Cygwin too.

AIX is as much a version of UNIX as SunOS and IRIX, and (technically)
more so than LINUX.

There is no evidence of any problem with the makefile. The problem is
that ld has trouble with its output file when invoked via make. I've
no idea why, unfortunately.

--   
Want to unsubscribe from this list?                             
Send a message to [email-masked]