Subject: Re: pthreads
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Coleman <[email-masked]>, Rick Blair <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:52:03 -0500

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 12:02:53PM -0500, Steve Coleman wrote:
>Rick Blair wrote:
>
>>  Has anyone done a port of a pthreads package? 
>
>See: 
>
>http://sourceware.cygnus.com/pthreads-win32/
>http://www.cyberus.ca/~jebossom/pthread1c.html
>
>I keep hearing that the cygwin kernel is not thread safe yet but have
>not heard anything on the status of that effort. Since all my software
>that I would like to port is multi-threaded I would look forward to
>hearing any status updates as to this effort. I signed up for the
>pthreads-win32 email list a while back but never received anything from
>it. I guess I will have to try again. :-}

I have posted recently that the latest cygwin snapshots can be configured
to be thread safe.  This also enables some limited pthread support.

By configured I mean that you have to get the sources and run 'configure'
in winsup with the appropriate options.  'configure --help' will give you all of
the options available.

The thread-safe stuff is still experimental.

--
[email-masked]
http://www.cygnus.com/