Subject: Re: stand alone console app
From: "Dale P. Smith" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 20:05:26 -0500

Mumit Khan wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Haack, Bradley R wrote:
> 
> > I would like to build a simple stand alone console program which will run
> > with out the cygnus dll.  How do I do it?  If I compile and link with "gcc
> > -g -o prog.exe prog.c" and try to run on a different computer I get an error
> > that says I need cygwin1.dll.
> 
> Static linking is not possible with Cygwin. Neither is it possible with
> Mingw32, but the advantage there is that the appropriate runtime is already
> on all the Win9x/NT machines (CRTDLL.DLL).

I have been watching this list for quite some time.  I have also tried
to search
the archives.  I still have some unanswered questions:

1. Can mingw32 create a static library. *Not* a dll!  I have a bit of
code that
   needs to be linked with an application.  It cannot be in a dll. (It's
a looong
   story).  (Oh yeah, for linking with VC++ 4.0)

2. Can mingw32 create .obj files that can be statically linked with VC++
4.0 .objs?

3. Can mingw32 create *any* kind of debug output that can be used with
VC++ 4.0
   Developer Studio?

We use gcc here for solaris, sinix and sometimes sco, but VC++ for win32
(95/nt). It
would be so great to be able to build for any platform from out solaris
development
machines.  As it is, I have boot nt to compile (I usually rin Linux). 
It's a real
pain.

Thanks!
  Dale