Subject: Re: Help: Make going wild
From: Tadeusz Liszka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 13:41:56 -0600

Few more data items:

After installation of newest full.exe the problem is 100% persistent,
but it does not happen on the first exec in the sequence

Following is from the good, working setup (NT4sp3) and it may not be
pertinent to the problem

The intermittent error message I was getting sometimes is:

proc: c:\cygnus....\make.EXE 1000 (0) sig_send: wait for sig_complete
event failed, sig 20, rc -1, error 6

when I try to break during that preprocessing I get in adddition
following message

[main] make 1000 (0) proc_terminated WFSO (hwait_subproc), rc -1, error
288

Besides messages nothing suggested that anything went wrong

Tadeusz Liszka wrote:
> 
> I have make calling user shell script, calling VC++ compiled code,
> calling exec, calling rm and then (sometimes, but too often) rm goes
> wild (takes all cpu time, grows in size to several megabytes) and I have
> to kill it. Sometimes it is cp not rm.
> 
> Any suggestions ? I suspect CYGWIN with NT4sp4 because it happens on all
> machines with sp4 but not on those with sp3.
> 
> Details:
> 
> I have big Unix application, FORTRAN, C, about 20MB of source, Tcl/Tk,
> OpenGL, lex/yacc, and our own preprocessing on top of it. When porting
> to NT I decided on redoing completely the make structure (old one was
> way too complex) and, after several abortive attempts (long and bloody
> Microsoft bashing skipped) zoomed on CYGWIN32, using gnu-make and gcc
> for preprocessing, but using VC++ and PowerFortran for actual
> compilation (do not ask who made this decision :). CYGWIN works GREAT.
> The differences between the platforms are minimal (mainly compiler
> options, renaming .obj .lib .exe, etc). Sometimes at the end of make I
> got error message (sigbus or such), but it never affected the works.
> 
> This month I took this code and all make structure to another office and
> installed it on their machines, HP Kayak, NT4, the main difference in
> setup is that they upgraded to service pack 4. On their machines it
> takes 4-5 attempts on the average to go through preprocessing phase (our
> own code, generated by lex/yacc, and using lotsa exec's to move files
> around). This code and the script calling it is fairly old (== tested
> and trusted), I used MKS lex/yacc/VC5++ to build it, just because I need
> it anyway in other place in make - I guess I could try to build it using
> CYGWIN (bison, gcc) but it does not seem to be the culprit.
> 
> I have installed full.exe with all default settings, no other setup
> except MAKE_MODE=UNIX and PATH, default mounts (text!=binary). The
> problem happens when I execute make from any: DOS/tcsh/bash, there is
> plenty of RAM and disk space.
> 
> How can I check if my cygwin is up-to-date ? Has anybody seen such
> problems ? Are there some patches already ?
> 
> I subscribe to to the list, and was looking for related topics, but
> found none.
> --
> Tadeusz
> :: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
> :: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL

-- 
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence
:: (512)467-0618 ext. 526 ::       Stanislaw J. Lec, trans. TJL