Subject: libtiff, configure, target, make problems
From: [email-masked] (Tripp Lilley)

1 Feb 1999 23:07:53 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

I'm trying to compile libtiff 3.4 beta 37 against cygwin b20.1 and can't
get no satisfaction. Here's what happens (note: this is /after/ I've made
a symlink from cc -> gcc, because it first bombed with "cc: not found")

bash-2.02$ ./configure

Configuring TIFF Software v3.4beta037.

If configure does the wrong thing, check the file config.log for
information that may help you understand what went wrong.

Reading site-wide parameters from ./config.site.
configure: Sorry, no target specified on the command line and I don't seem
configure: to have the GNU config.guess script that is used to deduce your
configure: system type.
Sending Hangup(1) signal to pid 1955
bash-2.02$

So then I try it this way:

bash-2.02$ ./configure --target=i686-pc-cygwin32

Configuring TIFF Software v3.4beta037.

If configure does the wrong thing, check the file config.log for
information that may help you understand what went wrong.

Reading site-wide parameters from ./config.site.
Invalid configuration `i686-pc-cygwin32': machine `i686-pc' not recognized
Using //z/apps/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/gcc for a C compiler
(use -with-CC=compilername to overri
de).
Looks like //z/apps/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/gcc supports the
-g option.
Using "-g" for C compiler options.
Using //z/apps/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/make to configure the
software.
/c: Can't open /c
make: *** [all] Error 2
Looks like make does not setup MAKE in Makefiles, will compensate.

Now, this actually /does/ pick up and continue building a makefile and
such. So then I try to run that makefile, and I get the "/c: Can't open
/c" error whenever I run make.

PS: Please cc replies directly to me as I seem to be somehow subscribed to
the list but not actually receiving messages :-( No, I haven't gotten
around to figuring it out -- I've just now figured out that I wasn't
getting anything :-)

Thanks!

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + ([email-masked])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "Pinky, I'd smite you if victory weren't so close at hand."  -  The Brain

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".