Subject: Winux?
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Murray)

1 Feb 1999 14:06:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

>> This Cygwin will make NT a bearable experience yet!!  Has anyone taken a
>> look at the new NT/UNIX product put out by Interex?  Their claim, if I am
>> not mistaken, is that it allows NT to be classified as a true UNIX
>> operating system under the UNIX 95 & 98 standards (pending approval from
>> the Open Group).  To bad it also costs an arm and a leg.  They also mention
>> rumors of a plan by Microsoft to subvert Linux with a product of their own
>> called "Winux".  Ha - Let 'em just try!
>
>Interix used to be OpenNT.  It's a better solution than Cygwin for
>some purposes and less good for others.  (Doesn't work on Windows 9x
>or allow programs that access both Unix and Win32 API functions;
>but they're more standards-conformant unless I'm mistaken).
>
>BTW, where is the "Winux" info mentioned?
>

For what its worth,
The website I saw this info is below but you will find that it no longer
exists. (I get these daily NT tips from PC-world and this site was embedded 
in the email).  I must caution you that the information above about Winux 
should not be considered as true, but just a big rumor - the guys at the
site given below were just as clueless as to whether the information was
true and were looking for someone to back it up/verify its truthfulness.
Knowing how fast rumors can get turned into "the truth", I guess I never
should have opened my big mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be).

http://www.pcworld.com/r/tw/1%2C2061%2Ctw-te125a%2C00.html 

Chris

***************************************************************************
Christopher Murray			Applied Research Laboratory
Assistant Research Engineer		The Pennsylvania State University
Work Phone:  (814) 865-2016		P.O. Box 30
Home Phone: (814) 231-2125		State College, PA 16804
Work Fax: (814) 863-1479 		Email: [email-masked]
v1.2a r+d>s TW 1/0/pw tG 12? 0 Animals 3 2 57.5% <16dec98>
***************************************************************************

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".