Subject: Re: multithread programming
From: [email-masked] (Stipe Tolj)

1 Feb 1999 13:23:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Vasiliy <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alex <[email-masked]>, gnu-win32 mailing list <[email-masked]>

> >
> > unfortunatly Cygwin b19 (and b20) are _not_ multithread safe. Therefore the
> > posix thread pthread package from MIT won't work.
>
> Does it mean that it is impossible to port multithreaded application from Unix
> to Win32    ???

of course it _is_ possible if you consider to write pthread wrappers that take out
the multithreading ability of the application.

As you may know, Win9x shouldn't be considererd thread-safe at all, therefore how
could Cygwin fix that if it is a sub-system of the os. I just wanted to say, that
you can't compare Linux or Solaris (or what real UNIX ever) to Cygwin for
multithreading abilities.

I tried to port the MySQL database engine which uses the MIT's pthreads. And I got
stuck into deep trouble with the need of that pthread functions.

Maybe an upcoming release of Cygwin will be supporting the pthread packages in
some way.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <[email-masked]>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".