Subject: [FAQ autopost] gnuwin32 resource pointer
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

31 Jan 1999 23:27:38 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

gnuwin32 resource pointer

$Id: gnuwin32-resource-pointer.txt,v 1.24 1999/01/28 22:56:36 michael Exp $

Introduction

  This document tries to list a minimal set of locations you should
have checked out before asking any question on the gnuwin32 mailing
list. Especially if you're searching for information about a specific
problem or program you'll certainly find a point to start in the
list of resources and download locations below.

  Of course I always try to keep it as up-to-date as possible. So feel
free to mail me any suggestions or new pointers to resources. I'll
visit them as soon as possible and include them into the document if
they're relevant.

News

 - new pointers added
 - restructured
 - 1.1.1 (Binary mounts) and 1.1.4. (CYGWIN options) removed
 - 1.1.2. (bash lockups) and 1.1.3. (Windows freezing) removed since
   these problems seem to be fixed with B20.1
 - ftp.franken.de upload form replaced by a pointer

Cygwin

  If you have any problem concerning Cygwin you should check out the
Cygwin FAQ at http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq_toc.html. Please
also research your problem via the Searchable Mail Archives at
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32. Most problems have already been
discussed and solved on the list and so are in the archives or even
the FAQ.

  If you are searching for a port of a specific program or further
information on a certain topic, you should check out the following
related sites:

Cygwin Web sites

http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/                    (project page)
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq_toc.html          (Cygwin FAQ)
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html
                                                 (Cygwin User's Guide)
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-api/cygwin-api.html
                                                (Cygwin API Reference)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32   (searchable mailing list archive)
http://www.eGroups.com/list/gnu-win32/   (mailing list archive mirror)
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/
                    (current source snapshots and Cygwin DLL binaries)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (commercial docs)

http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt
                              (Michael Hirmke - package porting notes)
http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.3/
                         (Arlindo da Silva - X11R6.3 binaries for B19)
http://members.xoom.com/setera/gimp/gimpw32.html
                                             (Craig Setera - the GIMP)
http://www.alank.net/                   (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://www.askesis.nl/AskesisPostgresIndex.html (Askesis - PostgreSQL)
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul/              (Valery Tulnikov - ports)
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/
                                      (Earnie Boyd - resource pointer)
http://www.i21.com/~tjump/files/
                           (Theodore Jump - Emacs functions and ports)
http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html  (rxvt that doesn't need an X server)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/             (more tools and man pages)
http://www.kedemel.demon.co.uk/                       (Darren - ports)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos           (Sergey Okhapkin - updates and ports)
http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
                                         (Ludovic Lange - ipc package)
http://www.qub.com/group                              (Perl 5 for B19)
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/
                                      (Cygwin Porting Project - ports)
http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf/            (Christopher Faylor - ports)
http://www.xemacs.freeserve.co.uk/                (Andy Piper - ports)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
                                      (Mumit Khan - updates and ports)

  Especially you should visit
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ if you have
problems with the egcs-1.1 compiler shipped with B20.1. Mumit Khan's
compilation of egcs-1.1.1 for Cygwin fixes some problems with the
tools that come with the environment, especially if you're using the
C++ compiler. It can be used as a drop-in replacement for the supplied
toolset.

  Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package available at
http://www.lexa.ru/sos contains a Cygwin DLL that reflects the latest
developments and so fixes a lot of known problems. Also it includes
some special patches that aren't in the official versions.

  There are even more up-to-date Cygwin DLL binaries on
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/ and
ftp://go.cygnus.com/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/ built
from the latest development snapshots. Although they're not guaranteed
to be stable they usually fix a lot of bugs.

  For those that need working access to raw tape devices there's
another patched Cygwin DLL by Corinna Vinschen on
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/
Vinschen_Corinna/B20 named cv_cygwin1.dll.tar.gz.

  But please don't upgrade your system as long as you don't have any
problems and exactly know what you're doing! At least the last three
packages mentioned are able to cause more problems than they solve and
so should only be installed if you have some you can't live with!
To make it short: Never change a running system! :)

Cygwin FTP archives

ftp://go.cygnus.com/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin (Cygwin FTP site)
ftp://go.cygnus.com/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/
                    (current source snapshots and Cygwin DLL binaries)
ftp://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/uwm_coads/X11R6.3
                                 (Arlindo da Silva - X11R6.3 binaries)
ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/fox/cygwin32 and
ftp://pipeline.ucsd.edu/pub/dsf/cygwin32
                                   (David Fox - RPM port and packages)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/
                 (Michael Hirmke - German mirror and ports collection)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/
                                   (Sergey Okhapkin - fixes and ports)
ftp://ftp.parallax.co.uk/pub/andyp      (Andy Piper - fixes and ports)
ftp://ftp.ultra.net/pub/eugene/SRPMS    (Eugene Kanter - RPM packages)
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/
                                          (Mumit Khan - egcs binaries)

Mingw32 Web sites

http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/
                             (Jan Jaap van der Heijden - gcc binaries)
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/
                                      (Earnie Boyd - resource pointer)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html
                                         (Colin Peters - project page)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
                                      (Mumit Khan - updates and ports)

Mingw32 FTP archives

ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/janjaap/mingw32
                             (Jan Jaap van der Heijden - gcc binaries)
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/mingw32/
                 (Michael Hirmke - German mirror and ports collection)
ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/
                                          (Mumit Khan - egcs binaries)

FTP Upload

  Thanks to Michael Hirmke it is possible to host your port at the
German gnuwin32 mirror ftp.franken.de. If you upload a port, Michael
will create a seperate directory for your package and also include
it in his package report. Please see the last lines of
http://aquarius.franken.de/docs/develop/gnuwin32/GNUWin32.txt for
specific upload instructions since there is some 'protocol' for
designing your packages.

Acknowledgements

  Special thanks go to Earnie Boyd who kindly gave me his signature to
create a resource pointer out of it and contributed many great ideas.
Also I want to thank Christopher Faylor, Michael Hirmke, Pierre
Humblet, Goeffrey Noer, Timothy Prince and Sergey Okhapkin, who
allowed me to include their huge knowledge on Cygwin in this document.
And of course I want to thank all the developers at Cygnus and all
over the net for developing such a great environment.

Legal stuff

I disclaim everything. :)
Copyright (c) 1998 by Michael Weiser, all rights reserved.

# end of file
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".