Subject: Re: How To: Re: LessTif build under Cygwin32?
From: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
To: "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]>
Cc: cygwin users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:28:18 -0800 (PST)

---"Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <[email-masked]> wrote:
8<
> If you plan to develop and not use binary mount point,  I would say,
> that
> expect a lot of pars errors and troublesome compilations.
> 
8<

I use text mounts for all compilations.  The only problems I have are
with programs that aren't properly ported.  It should not be a
requirement to do something special with the \r\n file endings.  Many
at Cygnus have stated that they also use text mounts.

Any program having a problem with \r\n files is not properly ported. 
You should always specify the mode of operation for the file.  If it
is a text file that humans read or write then specify the "t" or the
_O_TEXT macro for the [f]open modes.  Otherwise specify the "b" or the
_O_BINARY macro.

To do otherwise is to cause problems elsewhere.  You'll always be
translating files from \r\n to \n format.  This is not what I want to
spend my time doing, how about you?

8<
> Cygnus is based upon a simulated UNIX environment and doing a default
> TEXT mount of a disk, is not really a proper way.  Beside, COOLVIEW
> should be used
> with binary mounts.  Read the Binary mount article at Sergey's web
page.
8<

I suggest the one in the FAQ.

8< 
> The LessTif-0.87 precompiled library will work properly only if you
have
> your
> disks mounted as binary i.e. mount -b c: /
8<

Too bad.  That means someone else will have to properly port this
library.  It isn't hard really to take care of this problem by
correctly being specific about how to process a file.

==
-                        \\||//
-------------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o-------------------
--                [email-masked]               --
-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html --
----------------------ooo0O--O0ooo----------------------

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".