Subject: vim/networking trouble solved - reveals terminfo gotcha
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Murray)

29 Jan 1999 08:44:45 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

Hi all, 

In a previous message, I complained about whenever I would start up vim in
console mode, it would bring up a WinNT dialup networking dialog box.  The
suggestions a few of you gave was just enough to put me on the right path
to figuring out what was going on.  Thanks.

Turns out, the dialog box was telling me it couldn't find the .terminfo
file.  Terminfo looks for this file in $HOME/.terminfo.  Well, as it turns
out, my configuration is such that I just make / my home directory.  Well,
this resolves to //.terminfo, which apparently looks like a network path to
the OS - hence the dialog box.  All I had to do was create an actual home
directory, and all worked perfectly.  One of the byproducts was that it
significantly sped up the time for vim to startup - I guess it spent alot
of time trying to deal with a non-existent network path. 

Obviously, the nature of the problem was such that any program using
terminfo would have seen this weird behavior.  Starting up the curses
version of tcsh verified this.  

Anyway, I just wanted to disseminate the knowledge to others and make sure
it makes it to the archives so that others might benefit from my experience.

This Cygwin will make NT a bearable experience yet!!  Has anyone taken a
look at the new NT/UNIX product put out by Interex?  Their claim, if I am
not mistaken, is that it allows NT to be classified as a true UNIX
operating system under the UNIX 95 & 98 standards (pending approval from
the Open Group).  To bad it also costs an arm and a leg.  They also mention
rumors of a plan by Microsoft to subvert Linux with a product of their own
called "Winux".  Ha - Let 'em just try!

Thanks,
Chris

***************************************************************************
Christopher Murray			Applied Research Laboratory
Assistant Research Engineer		The Pennsylvania State University
Work Phone:  (814) 865-2016		P.O. Box 30
Home Phone: (814) 231-2125		State College, PA 16804
Work Fax: (814) 863-1479 		Email: [email-masked]
v1.2a r+d>s TW 1/0/pw tG 12? 0 Animals 3 2 57.5% <16dec98>
***************************************************************************

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".