Subject: Installation Problems: Can't find cat
From: [email-masked] (Dave Borger)

28 Jan 1999 18:58:02 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

My cat is lost!

I'm trying to install Cygnus gnu-win32 under Windows 95, just the
usertools for the moment.  (My eventual goal is to get Octave running.)
I downloaded usertools.exe (version 19.something) and ran the
installation, accepting all of the defaults except for using my D drive
instead of C.  I added the path d:\cygnus\b19\h-i386-ccygwin32\bin to my
path.  As a double check that I didn't make a typo on the latter, I can
execute 'cat' or any of the other utilities from anywhere on the system.

Next I wrote a simple batch file, test.sh, containing one line:

cat temp.tmp

where temp.tmp is a text file on the same path as test.sh.  If I execute
sh test.sh or bash test.sh
I get the message, 'test.sh: cat: command not found.'  Similarly if I go
into either the bash or sh environment and type 'cat temp.tmp.'
Something must not be pointing to the right place, but I don't know
what.  Can anyone help?

Dave

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".