Subject: Apologies, and cont of problems compiling perl
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Bergan)

28 Jan 1999 00:41:05 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

Very sorry about my last message being sent in html format.  My mailer seems
to have decided to switch formats without telling me, but I've beaten it
back into submission (I think!).

I followed the directions posted on comp.lang.perl.misc by Steven Morlock,
and I did get it to build successfully, passing ~ 90% of the tests.
However, when I run make install, it still says:

../perl installperl
mkdir /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/bin is not writable by you
make: *** [install.perl] Error 2

Now, as you can see, it just created /usr/local/bin (I deleted what was
there to make sure), and then claims it can't write to it.  An ls -l on
/usr/local/ says:

drwxr-xr-x   2 administ Domain U        0 Jan 27 13:39 bin
(cropped)

Now, I've tried chmod, which doesn't affect it, I've tried setting the NT
permissions to give everyone full control, and I've tried using the NT
properties to take control of the directory, but nothing seems to change it,
or affect ./perl installperl.  Any suggestions?

Jeff

PS.  It still complains during Configure that $d_void_sig is "undef", and I
have no idea if it should be, and also "sh Configure" doesn't perform
variable substitutions on the .SH files, claiming that they are not there.
I instead did "sh Makefile.SH" etc, for all the *.SH files.

PPS.  This is NT/SP3, cygwin b20.1, egcs 1.1

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".