Subject: Re: vim oddities (this message is somewhat verbose)
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Murray)

25 Jan 1999 20:38:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

>
>You must end up with a network path as far as vim is concerned.  Check your
>path and make sure none start with "//" or "\\\\".  If they do, you'll
>be looking on the network for the path and if its not found, it will default
>to RAS.  This problem is not vim specific.
>

Thanks, 
I'll look into this.

>Use "set fileformats=unix,dos,mac" in your .vimrc file and make sure that
>other related/older settings (binary/nobinary) are off.  This will make 
>vim adjust to the format of the incoming file and write it out in the same
>format.  You won't see the ^M's with this approach.
>

This works wonderfully.  When fishing around in the C source, I saw the
logic that was supposedly testing the fileformat type, and was wondering
why it wasn't figuring out what kind of file it was.  I even tried
hardwiring this logic to use the DOS format just to see what it might do,
but that was for naught too.  

>Don't modify anything.  vim is far too flexible and has taken all these 
>issues into account already.  If you make modifications, you'll more than
>likely ruin existing functionality and not achieve your goals.  Use the
>option settings I suggested and consult the help on these and other related
>settings to understand what is there, how it should work, and why you don't
>have to change source to get what you want.
>

Not to worry.  I always consider hacking the source as a last possible
resort.  If my hacks had worked, I would have, of course, had the dilemna
of using the hacked source which, as you suggest, has the potential for
limiting other capabilities, or trying to find some more elegant solution.  

Thank you so much for your help
Chris
***************************************************************************
Christopher Murray			Applied Research Laboratory
Assistant Research Engineer		The Pennsylvania State University
Work Phone:  (814) 865-2016		P.O. Box 30
Home Phone: (814) 231-2125		State College, PA 16804
Work Fax: (814) 863-1479 		Email: [email-masked]
v1.2a r+d>s TW 1/0/pw tG 12? 0 Animals 3 2 57.5% <16dec98>
***************************************************************************

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".