Subject: [B20.1] Hang on Win98 Gimp... Can someone look at a trace please?
From: [email-masked]

22 Jan 1999 14:39:21 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked]

Just me again...

I'm still working on a problem that I have when running my GIMP port on
Win98.  This is all code that ran fine under B19 and now is hanging on
B20.1.  It appears to me to be some sort of a race condition.  Last night
when trying to collect the trace information, I accidently forgot to
redirect the output.  In that case, the program and offending plug-in were
able to run to completion.  But, if I turn off STRACE or redirect it to a
file, the hang occurs.

The scenario is that The GIMP spawns the plug-in child process.  They do
some discussion through a named pipe.  The child then informs the parent
that it is closing via the pipe and calls exit(0).  The printf() output
that I placed into the code shows that the child plug-in hangs on the
exit() call.  (or at least appears to hang there)  This happens for the
first plug-in called no matter what that plug-in happens to be.

Anyway, I have a capture of the STRACE output and would really appreciate
it if someone who has a better understanding of the inner workings of the
CYGWIN support code could take a look at it.  I've placed the trace and the
associated source file on my web site and it can be grabbed at
http://members.xoom.com/setera/gimp/gimp_98hang.zip.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Craig Setera
AS/400 Enterprise Java Development
IBM Rochester
[email-masked]
(507) 253-3387 - Tie: 553-3387

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".