Subject: Win95/98 KERNEL32 Pagefaulting
From: [email-masked] (Joe Soroka)

18 Jan 1999 14:59:30 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

Hulloderr folks.

Damnit all.. I bet everyone working on this project wants to just forget
95/98.  I would too!  :|  9x seems to be causing so many headaches compared
to NT.  Well, here's a new one.  Actually its not new at all.  Search for
"kernel32" in the list-archives and you'll find a bunch of
overly-coincidental cases of people having problems with kernel32.dll page
faulting.

On 11/11/98 John Mamer described the exact same problem that I am having,
and many other people before and after have posted about what sounds like
the same bug popping up in different places, most recently by Glen Spell on
12/28.

I'm running Win98lite (basically just 98 w/the OSR2 versions of
comdlg32.dll and shell32.dll).  I've got the latest coolview.  I've tried
both Andy Piper's and Sergey's X11R64 binaries.  I grabbed the OSR2 version
of kernel32.dll and tried that but it just crashes 98 on startup, as one
might expect.  I tried to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the OSR2
kernel32.dll, so that cygwin programs might use it and the rest of windows
would ignore it.  I don't even know if windows will load different versions
of a dll at the same time, but it was worth a shot.  I even tried the
y2k.exe update for 98, hoping to repeat my previous fluke of discovering
the usbupd.exe 95freezing fix.  No go.

Glen Spell wrote:
> I suspect either a bug in the fork process on Windows 95 or
> a hardware problem that B19 failed to expose.
> I have [now] ruled out hardware problems.

I suspect the same.  The three programs that crash for me are xterm, xgdb
and ddd.  All of these (spawn/fork/whatever)
(children/processes/shells/whatever).  I don't know much, but I'm beginning
to think it might just be easier for me to write the drivers I need for a
real *nix.

thanks everyone.  let me know what you think.

Joe Soroka
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".