Subject: Re: gnuwin32 mini FAQ and resource pointer
From: [email-masked] (Michael Weiser)

18 Jan 1999 02:07:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Hello Geoffrey, you wrote:
>If you and/or other people could help do this, that would be much
>appreciated.  That way I can spend more time coding, making releases,
>etc...  The thing to do would be to start with the latest winsup
>snapshot (from ftp.cygnus.com/pub/noer/winsup-snapshot) and then send
>me patches as you would a code patch (change the files and then send
>me the result of diff -u or diff -c).  Please talk to me first so we
>can coordinate this and prevent wasted effort.
Okay, I think we brought it on the way, mainly because of Pierre
Humblet's efforts of course. I negotiated with him that all the useful
FAQ-parts of the mini-FAQ and resource pointer will be taken over to
the User's Guide and taken out of the resource pointer. Thanks Pierre
and Geoffrey!

>On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 03:42:58PM +0000, Michael Weiser wrote:
>[...]
>> 1. Is Sergey's cygwin32 b19.3 coolview still available somewhere?
>It should definitely be kept around for folks who are still using
>b19.  Maybe I can put up a copy in the cygwin-b19 directory with a
>quick note to make it easier to get a hold of?
I think it would be a good idea for those who need to continue working
with B19.

>> 6. Are the CYGWIN parameters ntea and mixed still patches by Sergey or
>> in the official source tree? At least ntea seems to be official now
>> but what about mixed?
>The ntea parameter has been there since I added it in Apr 1998.
>It is officially there although it would be better to figure out
>whether to do this on a per-drive basis.
>
>We decided not to include the mixed support since it would only work
>under certain circumstances (files, not directories?).  If that's not
>the case, we can reconsider it.
Okay, I've changed the mini-FAQ accordingly and Pierre will surely
take this over to the User's Guide.

>> - Sergey Okhapkin's coolview package contains an updated Cygwin DLL
>>   that reflects the latest developments and fixes a lot of known
>>   problems.
>Note that we are now providing a bzipped built cygwin1.dll with
>development source snapshots.  For those people who want to be playing
>with the latest and greatest (but that might be unstable), this should
>be useful.  (Run strip on it if you don't intend to debug the DLL).
Jep, I've added this one.

>> 1.1.2. Long pauses occuring randomly in bash
>> 
>> [ text goes here. any volunteers? ]
>Should be fixed as of B20 and greater.
Removed.

>> 1.1.3. Windows 95 Freezing Up (and related problems)
>> 
>>   (It's unknown if and how this applies to Cygwin B20, too. Feedback
>> is very welcome.)
>I haven't seen problems on my Windows 98 machine but...
I've made a last broadcast to see who responds to it, but there
haven't been any freezing-reports yet. So this paragraph will be
removed in the next version of the mini-FAQ, too.

>>   There has also been a bug in B20 on handling the CYGWIN parameters
>> which made it neccessary to add two spaces before the first parameter
>> like 'CYGWIN=  tty binmode'. This has been fixed with Sergey
>> Okhapkin's latest coolview.
>This bug is fixed in B20.1.
Corrected.

>> 1.2. Cygwin resources
>> 
>>   If the above doesn't answer your question you should read the
>> Cygwin FAQ at http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq.html
>> before posting any question to the list.
>
>Please change the URL to:
>	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq_toc.html
Done.

>> 1.2.1. Web sites
>> 
>> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/                    (project page)
>> http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                    (comercial page)
>> http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq.html             (Cygwin faq)
>Ditto.
Done for Cygwin FAQ and project page. But the GNU Pro docs are still
at www.cygnus.com AFAIK.

>> to thank Christopher Faylor, Michael Hirmke, Pierre Humblet, Goeffrey
>> Noer [...]
>Geoffrey, actually.  :-)
Thanks a lot Geoffrey, I can imagine how short your time is. :)
-- 
bye, Michael
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".