Subject: vi from within less
From: [email-masked] (Vince Rice)

14 Jan 1999 22:27:48 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

When I type a 'v' while in less to edit the file, one of two things
happen:
1.  First, I received an error (displayed too quickly to see; I had to
do it several times in a row before I finally saw the error) that said
no such file exists. I have 'vi' aliases to vim; apparently my alias
isn't making it to the child process. I have a .bashrc in my home
directory, and I have the $HOME variable pointing to it. Does bash not
run the .bashrc automagically like ksh does .profile?
2.  Once I copied vim.exe to vi.exe (BTW, doing a "ls -Fal vim" shows
the file, but doing a "cp vim vi" won't work; you have to do a "cp
vim.exe vi.exe". Is this right? If so, it isn't very consistent; why
would I be able to a directory of something I can't copy (not a
permission problem; I had su'd), I get a "Vim: Warning: input is not
from a terminal". The file displays in vim, but every keystroke writes
to the screen.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks!

Vince

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".