Subject: Re: BUg in GNU make 3.75 (CYGWIN port)
From: [email-masked]

14 Jan 1999 04:05:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

In a message dated 1/13/99 2:42:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, [email-masked]
writes:

<< We all have 95 or 98 machines available for testing, but
 since NT is much more stable and reliable, we tend to use
 NT for the bulk of our development.  We don't get much
 work done when we have to reboot the machine all the time. >>

I'm still mystified by these comments disparaging W9x.  My NT4/SP3 takes
several times as long to run scripts as my W95 under cygwin, and W95 doesn't
crash any more often than NT unless you insist on running without USB or
running AOL and an egcs build at the same time, as I'm doing now.  make-3.77
is worth installing even on NT, but it's a necessity on W95.  I've had a few
egcs incremental patch problems on W95 which weren't replicated on NT, and the
egcs testsuite skips different sections on NT and W95, but I'll take the speed
of W95 ever NT any day.  Yes, linux is still faster than any Windoze, but I
find those version incompatibilities just as annoying as the Windoze ones.  It
does run egcs testsuite and struct OTOB.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".