Subject: Re: B20.1 end of file command ([ctrl]D) not working (win95 4.00.950 B)
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

13 Jan 1999 21:59:47 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <v0310280eb2c14ee4db1a.cygnus.gnu-win32@[192.216.219.127]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <v0310280eb2c14ee4db1a.cygnus.gnu-win32@[192.216.219.127]>,
Cliff Gower <[email-masked]> wrote:
>The end of file command ([ctrl]D) does not end input to a file and return
>the unix prompt.  Actually, this whole operation does not work properly.
>
>steps to reproduce:
>at the prompt type the following:
>cat [enter]
>then type anything you want and hit [enter].
>your input is immediately directed to the screen.  [return] should not
>direct your input to the screen.  It should just send the cursor to the
>next line.  input should not be directed to the screen until the end of
>file command ([ctrlD]) is given.  However, [ctrl]D is not functioning.  It
>just returns the * charcter.  This means there is no way back to the unix
>prompt.
>If at the beginning of this operation, the user directs the input to an
>actual file:
>cat > file1
>the input will be directed to the file and not directly to the screen, but
>there is still no way out of this operation as [ctrl]D still does not work.
>
>I hope that was clear enough.  I'm new to unix, so I'm not certain of all
>the lingo and naming conventions.  Anyway, let me know if I can be of any
>more service.

Actually unless you have CYGWIN=tty set, the default will be to use the
Win32 EOF character which is ^Z.
-- 
[email-masked]
http://www.cygnus.com/