Subject: Re: BUg in GNU make 3.75 (CYGWIN port)
From: [email-masked] (Glenn Spell)

13 Jan 1999 20:32:57 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Glenn Spell)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

[email-masked] writes:
> [email-masked] writes:
> << I've experienced problems with many different ports of 'make'.
>   >>
> Have you been using make-3.77?  It installs itself automatically
> if you have one of those .exe-aware versions of install.exe.

Yes, I settled on a modified 3.77. Before Cygwin B20, I had modified
it to install ok. I also added some path-handling patches that I
extracted from the Cygnus modifications to 3.75.

While working on the Win95 B20 bug, I added a patch that Paul
Eggert posted to gnu.utils.bug back in July that changes the way
'make' handles the SIGCHLD signal. Instead of trying to keep its own
counter it now gets the status of its children from the OS. This
change will probably be included in make-3.78.

None of the above has helped the Win95 B20 bug in the least. More
recently, I've modified it to return a bogus load average of 3.0
and I set MAKEFLAGS to '-e -j 1 -l 0.0'. The '-l 0.0' coupled with
the bogus loadavg has "slowed it down" a little bit. This
has decreased the frequency of the crashes but it is still not
a suitable work-around. (BTW, the '-j 1' is default behavior,
added just for "good measure" and the '-e' was an afterthought
that cuts down on the work involved in enforcing my own
preferences with compiler flags.)

Actually, I modified it to run only one job while thinking that
it was running an infinite number of jobs and never checking
for the number of jobs or the load average. This 'make' actually
ran without ever crashing! But... it didn't keep track of the
processes and I would get errors about "no rule to make target
so-and-so" when said target was already being make by another
unfinished process.

"I don't know whatall I hain't tried."

-glenn

-- 
            Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
         Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.
  ____________________________________________________
  ... blue skies ... happy trails ... sweet dreams ...
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".