Subject: Re: XShm lacking in the Xext library
From: [email-masked] (Gary V. Vaughan)

13 Jan 1999 12:38:16 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Sebastien Carpe <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Michael Jennings <[email-masked]>

Sebastien Carpe wrote:
> 
> Well, i'm trying to compile Enlightenment. Yet, it seems XShm
> functions are not present within the libXext (from Sergey or Andy,
> they seem to be the same anyway). Does anybody know why i can't find
> them anywhere in the /usr/X11R6.4/lib libraries ? or if there is
> something that prevent to have XShm implemented on Cygwin ... I'd be
> glad to know if i stand a chance to have it run or not ...

I sent Michael Jennings a bunch of code to allow conditional compile
time removal of the shared memory code from Imlib and enlightenment
(waaaay) before Christmas.  I had hoped to rebuild the whole lot with
b20 as soon as it was released, but have had scant time to do so.  I am
still fiddling with getting GTK-1.1.12 to compile properly, but will get
there (a b20.1 compile of enlightenment) eventually.

I think Michael checked all that stuff in, though it may have bitrotted
since then.  Michael also has all the binaries on his website so you
could use those for now.

The reason XShm is not implemented is because there is no unix shm API
wrapper for win32, and XShm requires that.  There is a poor mans shm
daemon for win32 which will manage shared memory for processes that
speak to it, and a shm/IPC API library for you to link with:

http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/

Hope that helps some.

Cheers,
	Gary V. Vaughan
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".