Subject: RE: Case sensitivity in filenames
From: [email-masked] (Peter Ring)

13 Jan 1999 10:47:02 -0800
Message-ID: <c=DK%a=_%p=CD-Danmark%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Bernard Dautrevaux'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'"
	 <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

For me, the most important improvement would be if I could control case
sensitivity per case.

For all source files that I create and control myself, case sensitivity
should follow Unix rules. But some source files (a lot, actually) are
created by Windows 95 users who couldn't care less; for those cases, I'd
like to be able, e.g., to specify case insensitivity in pattern rules in
gnu make and other tools that rely on regexp's.

Kind regards

Peter Ring

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Dautrevaux [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 11, 1999 18:06
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Case sensitivity in filenames

<snip>

I would favour some environment variable like GLOB_MODE=(unix,windows),
with the default being unix (for unix compatibility) that could be
tested by any tool using glob or regexp on filenames to select how to
match file names. These tools could also profitably allow some option to
change the default set by GLOB_MODE (or any better named environment
variable); for example find has "-name" that will use the default set by
GLOB_MODE, "-iname" which allways use case-independant globbing and
could aslo have "-dname" (d for dependant) for case-dependant globbing.

<snip>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".