Subject: B20.1 end of file command ([ctrl]D) not working (win95 4.00.950 B)
From: [email-masked] (Cliff Gower)

13 Jan 1999 10:26:11 -0800
Message-ID: <v0310280eb2c14ee4db1a.cygnus.gnu-win32@[192.216.219.127]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

The end of file command ([ctrl]D) does not end input to a file and return
the unix prompt.  Actually, this whole operation does not work properly.

steps to reproduce:
at the prompt type the following:
cat [enter]
then type anything you want and hit [enter].
your input is immediately directed to the screen.  [return] should not
direct your input to the screen.  It should just send the cursor to the
next line.  input should not be directed to the screen until the end of
file command ([ctrlD]) is given.  However, [ctrl]D is not functioning.  It
just returns the * charcter.  This means there is no way back to the unix
prompt.
If at the beginning of this operation, the user directs the input to an
actual file:
cat > file1
the input will be directed to the file and not directly to the screen, but
there is still no way out of this operation as [ctrl]D still does not work.

I hope that was clear enough.  I'm new to unix, so I'm not certain of all
the lingo and naming conventions.  Anyway, let me know if I can be of any
more service.

-Cliff

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".