Subject: catting binary files in bash (newbie Q)
From: [email-masked] (Chris Slinger)

12 Jan 1999 14:44:21 -0800
Message-ID: <199901121423.OAA14321.cygnus.gnu-win32@ouzel>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

I'm sure that this has been raised before but I cannot find an answer
despite searching the FAQ and mailing list, so your patience is appreciated.

I'm transferring files to the PC running cygwin bash-2.02, using split
to put them on floppies from a zsh running under solaris.  When I try
and reasseble the split parts on the pc by using cat e.g. :
bash-2.02$ cat xaa xab > file.exe

Then the resulting file is incorrect (not the inverse of the
split), if xaa etc are binary.

When I do this on the solaris under zsh, it works fine.

I know I can assemble the bits correctly using dos, but how do I do it
using bash?

Ta,

Chris.
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".