Subject: Re: BUg in GNU make 3.75 (CYGWIN port)
From: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>

12 Jan 1999 10:15:10 -0500
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.1.126 i586)
X-Accept-Language: en

Glenn Spell wrote:
> Welcome to the Windows 95 Frustrated Users of Cygwin Klub.

Sigh, this is the first I've heard such disparaging remarks
about our support for 95.  I admit that cygwin under 95 doesn't
work as well as cygwin under NT, but a lot of that is due
to bugs in 95's support for certain win32 features that work
just fine in NT, and we have to put a lot of effort into
working around those bugs.

We do want 95 to be as usable as NT.  Perhaps you should
join the developer's list and help us identify and fix
the win95 problems?  We'll even help you get a local
cygwin build if you want to help us debug cygwin under 95.

> > # This create problems on the CYWIN port of GNU make 3.75
> 
> I've experienced problems with many different ports of 'make'.

Note that we're working on upgrading cygwin's make to 3.77, which
should fix many of the problems people have been reporting.

> It's just a buggy Cygwin and none of the developers seem to
> have any interest in working on Windows 95 problems.

Sorry, not true.

> Even
> the fine folks at Cygnus don't run Windows 95 (according to
> one of their finest right here on this list).

We all have 95 or 98 machines available for testing, but
since NT is much more stable and reliable, we tend to use
NT for the bulk of our development.  We don't get much
work done when we have to reboot the machine all the time.
I actually do most of my work on my Linux and SGI machines.