Subject: Re: Debugging information for DLL's
From: [email-masked] (Glenn Spell)

12 Jan 1999 10:08:15 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Glenn Spell)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Fergus Henderson writes>
> On 11-Jan-1999, Glenn Spell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > Doesn't buy you anything? What do you mean?
> > 
> > Here's what I know:
> >   a) I'm not a programmer.
> >   b) I believe what you say.
> >   c) I know for a fact that a 5,xxxKB cygwin1.dll runs a lot
> >        slower on Windows 95 than a 47xKB one does.
> > 
> > Therefore, I figure that I must misunderstand what you're saying.
> 
> Mumit Khan is saying that (c) is not correct.
> Why do you believe (c)?  Did you actually run some benchmarks?

No benchmarks. I compiled the cygwin1.dll and some tools with
'-ggdb' after configuring with '--enable-debugging', '--with-
debug', and '--enable-debug'. Afterwards, I kept swapping the
large and the small dll while checking this and that. I could
have sworn ('til now) that the large dll ran slower.

Perhaps it was other things that slowed the operation, such
as using 'strace' or attaching gdb to processes. Or maybe
there was an apparent slowing of my disk I/O activity, since
I was dealing with larger files.

I can't check it now. I ran out of disk space and deleted all
those large files. So, now I'll update my knowledge base. :-)

Thanks for the response.

-glenn

-- 
            Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
         Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.
  ____________________________________________________
  ... blue skies ... happy trails ... sweet dreams ...
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".