Subject: Re: BUg in GNU make 3.75 (CYGWIN port)
From: [email-masked] (Glenn Spell)

12 Jan 1999 01:51:15 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Glenn Spell)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Dominique PELLE writes>
> On CYWIN_95-4.0 (Beta 20.1 release) the simple GNU Makefile
> (GNU make 3.75) that follows does not work.  It works fine
> with GNU make on Linux:

Welcome to the Windows 95 Frustrated Users of Cygwin Klub.

> # This create problems on the CYWIN port of GNU make 3.75

I've experienced problems with many different ports of 'make'.

> The bug seems to occur when there are several targets
> in the same rule AND when the target files are absolute pathnames

I can do a 'make clean' on the Cygnus Cygwin top-level Makefile
and Windows 95 will crash everytime... every single time.
Windows will kill a child that is running the function
'spawn_guts' in 'spawn.cc'. And this is a forked child.
'make clean' is only 'make do-clean' and 'make local-clean'.
When I run 'make do-clean' and 'make local-clean' separately,
Windows *never* crashes... so it's not a long command line.

It does seem to always be 'sh' that is killed. It makes no
difference whether 'sh' is 'ash', 'bash', or whatever.

It's just a buggy Cygwin and none of the developers seem to
have any interest in working on Windows 95 problems. Even
the fine folks at Cygnus don't run Windows 95 (according to
one of their finest right here on this list).

-glenn

-- 
            Glenn Spell <[email-masked]>
         Fayetteville, North Carolina, U. S. A.
  ____________________________________________________
  ... blue skies ... happy trails ... sweet dreams ...
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".