Subject: Bugs I've discovered...
From: [email-masked] (Lincoln, W. Terry)

9 Jan 1999 00:07:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: "'gnu-win32 mail list'" <[email-masked]>

Hi all,

This is my first initial post today.
I have been using Cygwin B20.1 for a couple of 3 weeks and it works   
pretty good all in all.
There are just a couple of pesky things that are bothering me:
1) When I had my user drive mounted as /usr and my C: drive mounted as /   
whenever I tried to go from / to /usr by using relative paths like so   
this is what happened:

$ pwd
/
$ cd usr
$ pwd
/
$ cd /usr
$ pwd
/usr

2) After thinking that was a cd quirk I tried to untar.gz a file that   
wanted to be started from root (because it had files that started with   
usr/foo/bar for example:
3) $ tar -zxvf package.tar.gz
all the files that went to mounted locations gave errors about directory   
not found!
4) I then umounted them all and started with a new tactic - symbolic   
links!
So I created /usr in C: and linked all subdirs in my previously mounted   
subdirs into /usr this works fine now for 'cd' but when I want to pass a   
file to a DOS/WIN program this is what happens.  I call `cygpath -w file`   
as the argument. Works good usually but not in the files is sym-linked to   
my mounted drives. ex:

$ emacs `cygpath -w /usr/local/src/file.c   {my emacs in NTemacs so it   
knows DOS}

emacs tries to open C:/usr/local/src/file.c  {should be   
/mnt/K/usr/local/src/file.c}
because there is a symlink in C:/usr named local that points to   
/mnt/K/usr/local
5) When I do a ls -l command and expect to see the following:

lrwxr-xr-x   5 administ Users           0 Jan  4 20:23 local ->   
/mnt/K/usr/local

instead I see

drwxr-wr-x   5 administ Users           0 Jan  4 20:23 local

which gives no indication as on Linux and others that this is a link.
6) Occasionally when doing long drawn out configures or makes the whole   
shell window locks up completely and I have to open another window and do   
a kill -9 pid to try to fix it (which sometimes doesn't take.
7) Lastly I have problems with trying to read the output from make etc.   
as it scrolls by fast and I press C-s to pause the output. This works and   
when I press C-q it takes off fine.  Problem is I am in the habit of   
pressing Pause and then any key to continue or accidentally pressing C-a   
or C-w instead of C-q.  Well! That does it for sure.  I have to end task   
the process from windows to fix it.  Not very forgiving. ;(

Thanks for listening to my gripes, and remember this: Cygwin32 is still   
so much better than DOS or WINDOZE for my complex demands.  `Wouldn't   
trade it - no sir.

                                             mailto:wterrylincoln@engineer  
..com
    __
   |  |    /===============================
 __|  |__   / For GOD so loved the world that He gave
|        |  /  His only son, that whosoever believeth on
|__    __|      /   Him should not perish but have everlasting
   |  |     /    life.  (John 3:16)
   |  |    /     http://www.AngelFire.com/ny/TerryLincoln
   |  |   /    May His peace be found in you,
   |  |  /     W. Terry Lincoln
 /~~~~~~\ /      (senior engineer - Ultimate Technology Corporation)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".