Subject: info on info on info on...
From: [email-masked] (Max Hadley)

8 Jan 1999 21:45:28 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Cygwin mailing list" <[email-masked]>

Dear list,

Help! I'm still desparately trying to read the .info files that come
with b20.1. I eventually found and downloaded tkinfo 1.5 from:

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Billing
hurst_David/tkinfo-1.5.zip

This unzipped and produced a file called tkinfo. This seems to find and
run cygwish80, and start tkinfo OK. But tkinfo cannot find any info
files! I tried giving it absolute path names, starting it in the
/cygwin/cygwin-b20/info directory, setting INFOPATH, but nothing works -
I just get: Can't locate the info node "(dir)Top", or similar. Tkinfo's
built-in documentation informs me it should be able to find the files
itself in a well maintained system. This does not help at all.

What do I have to do to read documentation in info format (doubtless it
is explained in an info file somewhere). Grumble, mutter...

<Flame mode=on>
WHY IS CYGWIN DOCUMENTATION SO BL**DY DIFFICULT TO ACCESS???

Why is there no info reader in the full.exe distribution, if you must
distribute your documentation in info format?

Why is there no downloadable, printable version of the reference manuals
(PDF or Postscript)? The online HTML versions are fine as far as they
go, but it just costs too much in phone calls to be continuously on-line
while using them. Anyway I prefer paper documentation when starting with
a new package.

I repeat my comment that half the traffic on this list comes from people
simply suffering from lack of documentation!
</Flame>

Seriously though, I do find the list a valuable resource - but there are
better ways!

Max Hadley

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".