Subject: Re: Debugging information for DLL's
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

8 Jan 1999 21:00:19 -0800
Message-ID: <Pine.SOL.3.93.990108164229.9193C-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@brahma>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

> Here is a somewhat silly question.  If I build a set of DLL's and
> associated ".a" files with debugging information turned on, where does that
> information end up?  Is it in the DLL itself or the .a?  If it is in the
> DLL, can I run strip on a DLL to trim the size of the DLL?  Or does it all
> end up in the executable that is linked to the DLL which can then be
> stripped?

The import libraries for DLLs normally contain no executable code other
than a bunch of jump instructions to load the code from the DLL; all the
actual code, including debugging info, reside in the DLL. This also
implies that stripping the final executable has no impact on the debugging
info in the DLL.  You need to strip both the executable and all the
DLLs to get rid of all possible debugging info. Do note that stripping 
doesn't buy you anything other than disk space (the debugging info is 
never loaded into memory.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".