Subject: Re: Serial Port
From: [email-masked] (Dan Hensley)

8 Jan 1999 01:47:56 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: Cygnus <[email-masked]>
Cc: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Przemys=B3aw?= G. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gawro=F1ski?=" 
	<[email-masked]>

You can open serial ports using "/dev/com1" or "/dev/com2".  I think this
works with b20.1.  I recently had some trouble with using serial ports and
the select() command, but replacing cygwin1.dll and termios.h with the files
from the winsup snapshot from 981230 sort of fixed that problem.  You're also
supposed to use libcygwin1.a from the snapshot, but it broke the read()
function--trying to read the serial port buffer would hang bash.  My final
solution was to replace the snapshot libcygwin1.a with the library from b20,
and then everything kind of worked, although I wasn't able to set terminal
attributes (they were defaulted to attributes close enough for me to use, so
I didn't worry about it).  All in all, I've got a messy setup.  I haven't
gone back to pure b20.1 to see if serial ports work in general, but it
shouldn't be hard for you to determine.

Hope that helps (and isn't too confusing).  You could search the archives for
select() to see my recent flurry of e-mails on the subject.

Dan

"Przemys³aw G. Gawroñski" wrote:

> How can I use the serial port using cygwin32 ?
>
> Do I need some extra library for rs232 suport ?
>
> Thank you for help
>
> Przemek
>
> --
> Przemyslaw G. Gawronski ICQ:8358522
> mailto:[email-masked]
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

--
Dan Hensley
Engineer - SDRC Operations (ATA)
Denver, CO        W:303/464-7049
http://www.sdrc.com/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".