Subject: Running several bash shells on different accounts
From: [email-masked] (Gordon Watts Brown University)

8 Jan 1999 01:47:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnu-win cygnus mailing list <[email-masked]>

Hi,
  Sometimes, when there is more than one use logged in and running a bash
shell, the shell crashes with an acvio. Has anyone else seen this?

  In more detail. We have a large 4cpu web server. The web pages, via NT
services, invoke bash shells -- logged in under the account run2_web. These
shells use gmake to build lots of software (fairly complex recursive makes,
lots of stuff is built, both cygwin32 and non-cygwin32 tools are invoked).

  At the same time I may log in on the console as gwatts, and start a bash
shell to do some testing. One of two things usually happens. Most
frequently, my console bash shell hangs with an access violation. It is so
hung that I have to use the task manager to kill the window. The other
symptom is that the web invoked job just hangs. I suspect the two crashes
are the same, just that I don't see the error message on the web job due to
a flawed way of getting at error messages from my spawned subprocess.

  If the web job is just running one long command that doesn't invoke others
(like doing a remote shell using NT's rsh), the hang never occurs. It only
occurs when there are lots of shell starts and stops.

  I'm running B19 (I know, not 20 -- I'm too scared because my system is
finally "stable", but soon I guess). NT4.0 SP4.

  Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Or run in a similar
configuration? I have hacked the DLL before, but I don't know very much
about the DLL startup or shutdown -- nor do I understand why there would be
an interaction like this. Is there a shared global section? Is this shared
on a machine wide basis or only for subprocesses? How should it be shared?
etc. etc.

  This could be related to the recent problems with gmake, expect, and dead
children (posted on the 28th)??

  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

	Cheers,
		Gordon.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".